Developmental Disabilities and Special Needs
A. General Resources
1. Blue Bird Circle Clinic for Pediatric Neurology, 832-822-5046 6701 Fannin, Houston 77030, 9th Floor of Clinical Care Center. Medical, psychological, and educational diagnosis and care for developmentally delayed, learning disabled, mentally challenged and other health impaired children, ages 0-17. Social service consultations, Mon-Fri, 8am-4:30pm. firstname.lastname@example.org
2. The Center www.thecenterhouston.org 713-525-8400 3550 W. Dallas, Houston 77019 Testing, counseling, schooling, recreation and dental services for those with Intellectual Disabilities. Referrals through schools and State Department of Human Resources – MHMR: daycare for children and adults, residential services, both rural and urban community settings.
3. ECI Project https://hhs.texas.gov/services/disability/early-childhood-intervention-services Families with young children, ages 0-3, with developmental delays. Needs-based services provided in the home or natural environment. Service cost based on family cost share; Medicaid, insurance and CHIP accepted.
4. The Harris Center for Mental Health and IDD 713-970-7070 or 713-970-7000 Mental Retardation Eligibility Center www.mhmraharris.org a. Early Childhood Intervention 6125 Hillcroft 713-970-4800 Developmentally delayed children 0 to 3 years old. b. Intellectual Disabilities/Autism Intake and eligibility determination functions for mental retardation services through the MHMRA of Harris County. Services are provided for individuals with intellectual disabilities and pervasive developmental disorders that are over three (3) years of age and are residents of Harris County. Must meet financial and diagnostic eligibility requirements. Mon-Fri 8am-5pm. Mental Health Eligibility Center, 3630 W. Dallas, Mon-Fri, 7:30am-4pm
5. Meyer Center for Developmental Pediatrics www.texaschildrenshospital.org 832-822-3400 Clinical Care Center: 8080 N. Stadium Dr., Suite 100, Houston 77054 Teams of professionals develop diagnosis and treatment plans for children and adolescents suspected of developmental or learning problems, behavioral, emotional, and neurological conditions.
6. Tzu Chi Foundation www.tzuchi.org Main: 713-270-9988 6200 Corporate Drive, Houston 77036 MHMRA liaison: 713-970-8385 Provides case management for families with special needs children. Serves all Harris County.
B. Information and Referral
1. The ARC www.aogh.org 713-957-1600 3737 Dacoma #E, Houston 77092 Mailing address: PO Box 924168 Houston 77292 Private, nonprofit organization to help those with intellectual and developmental disabilities lead ordinary lives and be included in their communities. Services include information and referral, parent support group (bilingual), mentors for adults, social and leisure programs, weekend respite, Summer day camp and advocacy. Assistance with special education.
2. Family to Family Network www.familytofamilynetwork.org 713-466-6304 13150 FM 529, Suite 106, Houston 77041 Provides information and referral, education and support for families of children with disabilities.
3. Parent Education Project-Families Can www.coe.uh.edu/families-can 713-743-5491, 4800 Calhoun, 210 Student Services Center 1, Houston 77204; 4365 Wheeler Ave, Room 301, Houston 77204 Information and referral for families of children with disabilities. Parent-to-Parent case management for children with Special health care needs. Serves all of Harris County. Does not accept Medicaid.
4. Team Project www.partnerstx.org/team 281-969-5944 4101 Cartwright Rd, #604, Missouri City 77459 Statewide: 877-832-8945 Non-profit agency to assist parents of children with disabilities. Provides workshops, information and referral, assistance in ARD preparation. Services are available in Spanish and English.